The purpose of the fund is to facilitate and promote the development of closer cooperation among citizens and institutions in the region as well as between theV4 region and other countries, especially in the Western Balkan and Eastern Partnership regions. The fund operates several grant programs, and also awards individual scholarships, fellowships and artist residencies.
The objectives of the Fund shall be pursued through financial support of activities, in particular in the following areas:
- promotion and development of cultural cooperation;
- promotion and development of scientific exchanges, research and cooperation in the field of education between the Contracting Parties;
- promotion and development of exchanges between young people;
- promotion and development of cross-border cooperation;
- promotion and development of tourism of the Contracting Parties.
Any natural person or legal entity is eligible to apply for grant support with the exception of organizations of state (central) administration institutions. Preference is generally given to those projects submitted by not-for-profit entities (NGOs/CSOs, foundations) and public institutions (schools and universities, research institutes, etc.). Applicants from outside of the V4 region can win support provided that their proposed projects deal with the V4 region and meet all formal requirements, such as having V4 project partners.